The origins of the group lie in the year 1848 when Johann Christian Wacker founded a blacksmith in Dresden. In 1930, the company filed their first patent for an electric rammer for soil compaction. Now they have over 400 patents and utility models. Since 2005, the Weidemann GmbH has been supplementing the group of companies with compact construction machines for agricultural industries.
It was followed by the restructuring to a joint stock company in May 2007, the company went public (today in the S-DAX). In the same year the Wacker Construction Equipment AG merged with the Austrian Neuson Kramer Baumaschinen AG, which resulted in 2001 from the merger of Neuson Baumaschinen GmbH and Kramer-Werke GmbH. 67% of the company shares are owned by the families Wacker and Neunteufel. Hans Neunteufel is the Chairman of the supervisory board and the executive board is led by Martin Lehner.